Norland maintains University’s controlled research environment
Norland Managed Services working with the University of Southampton to provide specialist mechanical and electrical maintenance services.
[UKPRwire, Mon Jul 23 2012] The University of Southampton is working with Norland, one of the UK’s fastest growing facilities management providers, to safeguard its world-leading research facilities. Norland, which has extensive experience working within the higher education sector, is providing a specialist mechanical and electrical maintenance service to the University.
The University’s Mountbatten building is a highly controlled “clean-room” used for research into photonics and nanofabrication. It needs specialist professional care. The £55 million labs place Southampton as one of the top 15 research Universities in the UK but they are among the country’s most challenging maintenance tasks. The Mountbatten building contains a closed clean room where the air is conditioned to control temperature, ventilation and humidity within fine tolerances. Norland’s dedicated engineering team maintains the reverse osmosis, acid extraction and scrubbing systems as well as toxic, solvent and dust extraction. Norland runs a programme of planned and preventative maintenance to minimise downtime.
John Duff, assistant director of estates and facilities at the University of Southampton said “Norland are experts in providing specialist engineering services to clean room environments. They are a critical partner in maintaining our reputation as one of the foremost photonics centres in the world. Norland are providing an excellent service within a demanding contract in a highly technical and specialist area. Their ability to drive through high-levels of performance is one factor which sets them apart”.
John Maidment, sales and marketing director at Norland said: “Clean rooms for research and manufacturing are some of our most challenging maintenance jobs. The delicate equipment and sensitive environment must function properly and leaves no room for error.
Maintenance staff are often overlooked, but it’s our engineers who make sure that Southampton’s labs continue to push the boundaries of research, day in, day out”.
About Norland Managed Services
• Norland Managed Services is one of the UK’s fastest growing providers of facilities management and support services with revenues in excess of £300 million
• Norland is the partner of choice for many leading Universities and research facilities. The company’s clients include London Metropolitan, Southampton University, London South Bank, University of Essex, Southampton Solent University; The Wellcome Trust and National Institute for Medical Research. Norland understand the unique challenges of working in this environment and is particularly adept at creating engineering services which minimise disruption.
• The company operates from a strategic network of regional offices throughout the UK, Ireland, Europe and the US
• A dedicated team of highly trained and experienced staff maintain and enhance the capital assets of major national and global businesses. These range from single floors in multi-occupied buildings to substantial property estates and large stadia
• Since its formation in 1984, Norland has achieved consistent annual growth, its success being built on high levels of customer service and a major focus on people and technical skills
• Norland is a 2012 CIBSE Award winner for “Training for Building Performance”, and a 2011 Green Apple Award winner for “Property Management - Energy Reduction”
• Norland is ranked 141st on the Sunday Times HSBC Top Track 250 league table, which ranks Britain’s leading mid-market private companies with the biggest sales - leaping 48 places from 189th place last year.
• For more information about Norland, please visit www.norlandmanagedservices.co.uk
For further information please contact:
Group Marketing Manager,
+44 (0)207 871 9306