Waste King, the specialist collections, clearance and recycling company, is urging everyone – from individuals to the largest corporations – to recycle as much of their waste as possible.
[UKPRwire, Tue Jan 19 2010] In an attempt to raise awareness of the scale on which we produce waste, Waste King has revealed 12 amazing waste-related facts:
1. We use over 6bn glass bottles and jars each year. It would take you over 3,500 years to sing ‘Six Billion Green Bottles’.
2. Every tonne of paper recycled saves 17 trees.
3. In just over a week, we produce enough rubbish to fill Wembley Stadium. Over half that waste could be recycled.
4. Every year in the UK, we use 13bn steel cans which, if you placed them end to end, would stretch to the moon – three times!
5. The energy saved from recycling one glass bottle is enough to power a light bulb for four hours.
6. Each day, we produce enough rubbish to fill Trafalgar Square to the height of Nelson’s Column.
7. Each year, a typical person gets through the contents of 90 drink cans, 70 food cans, 107 bottles and jars and 45kg of plastic.
8. On average, each person in England and Wales produces nearly 500kg of household waste in a year.
9. The UK produces more than 434m tonnes of waste every year – enough to fill 3.5m double-decker buses.
10. Recycling a single run of the Sunday New York Times would save 75,000 trees.
11. A modern glass bottle will take 4,000 years or more to decompose – and even longer if it’s part of a landfill site.
12. Each year, every person in the UK produces waste equivalent to the weight of five cars – and we only recycle 11% of it all.
Andy Cattigan, of Waste King, explained: “Recycling may be becoming ‘fashionable’ – but it’s none the worse for that. We produce far too much waste each year and recycle far too little of it.”
Waste King pledges to recycle as much as possible of every load of waste its staff clear from customers’ premises – and Waste King has taken its own advice by completely furnishing its offices with recycled products.
“It’s never too late to start recycling your rubbish – especially if it’s the sort of rubbish that the Council don’t take away,” Andy added. “Moreover, opting to recycle your waste through Waste King can usually work out cheaper than hiring a skip.”
About Waste King Ltd
A specialist collections, clearance and recycling company, Waste King serves the domestic and commercial markets. It focuses not only on providing a friendly, efficient, cost-effective service but also one which is environmentally friendly. In particular, Waste King’s uniformed, Environment Agency-licensed staff take time to ensure that the maximum amount of waste can be recycled and that all the waste it collects is disposed of in an environmentally friendly way.
Waste King was formed, in 2007, by Glenn Currie and Andy Cattigan, who had experience in sales and IT respectively and were keen to ‘do something to help the environment’.
Further information from:
Waste King Ltd, 01442 216784 / 07761 577001; email@example.com
Bob Little Press & PR, 01727 860405; firstname.lastname@example.org