Wyboston Lakes and the College of West Anglia join forces to mentor young golfing talent
Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire’s young golf players eager to pursue a professional career are set to welcome the launch of a new qualification, Advanced Apprenticeship in Sporting Excellence (AASE), offered by The College of West Anglia in conjunction with Wyboston Lakes Golf Centre.
[UKPRwire, Thu May 07 2009] The programme is aimed at 16-18 year old boys and girls who have a handicap of less than 5 and 10 respectively. Players will receive input from all areas of sport science, including strength and conditioning, psychology, nutrition and biomechanical screening. Alongside this, students will be given top class coaching by PGA professionals overseen by Paul Ashwell, head professional at Wyboston Lakes and the England Under 18 lead coach.
The course boasts the use of the excellent onsite facilities at Wyboston Lakes, including the floodlit driving range, short game area, computerised indoor academy and fitness club. The pupils will work towards their NVQ Level 3 in Achieving Excellence in Sports Performance and the BTEC National Certificate in Sport which is the equivalent of 2 A-levels.
Paul Ashwell said: “We are delighted to be involved with the AASE Program. It will provide talented young local players with the type of support that National Squad players enjoy, whilst providing valuable academic qualifications.”
The status of AASE Golf Academy is awarded by The English Golf Partnership and Sport England.
Anyone interested in this programme both in terms of applying to join the programme or support the programme should contact Tommy Goode, Programme Manager for Sport on 01553 815277 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pictured from left to right: Tommy Goode, Programme Manager, College of West Anglia and Paul Ashwell, Head Professional at Wyboston Lakes Golf Centre.
For further information / pictures, please contact
Triggerfish Communications 020 7233 9700
Notes to Editors:
• Wyboston Lakes is Northern Europe’s largest privately owned single site conference and training centre, set in 350 acres of countryside midway between Cambridge and Bedford
• Wyboston Lakes is made up of three dedicated conference and training centres
o Robinson Executive Conference Centre, premier award-winning venue with 120 bedrooms
o Waterfront Conference Centre, 103 bedrooms
o Willows Centre, 183 bedrooms
• Wyboston Lakes offers guests an 18-hole golf course, watersports activity centre and full leisure facilities on site
• Wyboston Lakes was ‘Training Venue of the Year’ runner-up at the 2007 World of Learning Awards in Birmingham
• Wyboston Lakes has invested over £33m in the 350-acre site
• Wyboston Lakes Limited, Potton House, Great North Road, Wyboston, Bedfordshire, MK44 3AL
• Tel: 01480 479327